3. On the Translation and Approbation of Sacramental Formulae
85. As regards the translation of the sacramental formulae, which the Congregation for Divine Worship must submit to the judgment of the Supreme Pontiff, the following principles are to be observed besides those required for the translation of other liturgical texts:
- In the case of the English, French, German, Italian, Portuguese and Spanish languages, all of the acts are to be presented in that language;
- If the translation differs from a vernacular text already prepared and approved in the same language, it is necessary to explain the reason for the introduction of the change;
- The President and Secretary of the Conference of Bishops should testify that the translation has been approved by the Conference of Bishops.
86. In the case of the less widely diffused languages, everything shall be prepared as set forth above. The acts, however, are to be prepared with great care in one of the languages mentioned above as more widely known, rendering the meaning of each individual word of the vernacular language. The President and Secretary of the Conference of Bishops, after any necessary consultation with trustworthy experts, are to testify to the authenticity of the translation.