- Cf. Council of Trent, Session 13, Decretum de SS. Ecuharistiae Sacramento, c. 7; D. 880 (1646-1647): "If it is not fitting for anyone to approach any sacred functions except in a state of holiness, then certainly to the extent that the holiness and godliness of this heavenly Sacrament is more and more known to the Christian, all the more must he take care that he does not come to receive it without great reverence and holiness, especially because of the fearful words of the Apostle which we read: "A person who eats and drinks without recognizing the Body of the Lord is eating and drinking his own condemnation" (1 Cor. 11:29). Thus the following precepts should be recalled to the one desirous of receiving Holy Communion: "Let a man so examine himself" (1 Cor. 11:28). Ecclesiastical custom declares that the proving of one's self is necessary, so that no one, conscious of having committed mortal sin, though considering himself contrite, should approach the Holy Eucharist without first having made a sacramental confession. This holy Synod declares that this must perpetually be observed by all Christians, even by priests, whose duty it is to celebrate Mass, as long as there is an availability of confessors. If in the case of urgent necessity a priest will have to celebrate without previous confession, he is to make a confession as soon as possible." Sacred Congregation of the Council, Decree Sacra Tridentina Synodus (20 December 1905): Acta Apostolicae Sedis 38 (1905-1906), pp. 400-406; Sacred Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, Normae pastorales circa absolutionem sacramentalem generali modo impertiendam (31 July 1972), Norm 1: Acta Apostolicae Sedis 64 (1972), p. 511.
- Sacred Congregation of Rites, Instruction Eucharisticum Mysterium25 May 1967, 28; Acta Apostolicae Sedis 59 (1967), p. 557.
- Cf. Ibid.
- Cf. Ibid.; Sacred Congregation of Rites, Instruction Inter Oecumenici, 26 September 1964, 60: Acta Apostolicae Sedis 56 (1964), p. 891;; Instruction, Tres abhinc annos, 4 May 1967, 14: Acta Apostolicae Sedis 59 (1967), p. 445.
- Cf. St. Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theol. III, q. 79, a. 7 ad 3 and a. 8 ad 1.
- Sacred Congregation of Rites, Instruction Eucharisticum Mysterium, 25 May 1967, 13: Acta Apostolicae Sedis 59 (1967), p. 549.
- Cf. Institutio generalis Missalis Romani, 329a, typical edition 1970, p. 90.
- Cf. Code of Canon Law (1917) 858, paragraph 1.
- Motu Proprio, Sacram Communionem, 19 March 1957, 4; Acta Apostolicae Sedis 49 (1957), p. 178.
- Ad uxorem 2, 5: Patrologia Latina 1, 1408.
- Sacred Congregation for Divine Worship, Instruction Memoriale Domini, 29 May 1969; Acta Apostolicae Sedis 61 (1969), p. 542.
- Cf. Second Vatican Council, Sacrosanctum Concilium, 7: Acta Apostolicae Sedis 56 (1969), pp. 100-101; Sacred Congregation of Rites, Instruction Eucharisticum Mysterium, 25 May 1967, 9: Acta Apostolicae Sedis 59 (1967), p. 547.
- Paul VI, Address Ad Membra Consilii Eucharisticis ex omnibus Nationibus conventibus moderandis habita: Acta Apostolicae Sedis 64 (1972), p. 287.
- Cf. Lk. 11:3.
- Cf. Heb. 2:14.